Life in a Suitcase

Some things you might be interested to know....

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Life in a suitcase...going on the 2nd year

It’s almost been a year since I started this assignment, a year since I left Doha, a year since I was again based in Dubai…and I didn’t even notice the time.

All these questions…”What’s your job? What exactly are you doing? Are you a flight crew (winks)?” Then me saying “Oh it’s this and I do this and that and I travel a lot, really a lot”…and the follow up question…”oh yeah, cool! Do you need an assistant????”

I have been in the retail industry for so many years so even if I am actually an Electrical Engineer by education, I got stuck in retail, having connected with this industry since the time that I needed to support my college. And now given the task to look after the "middle east" area of a French franchise, I need to do a lot of visiting to our partner countries the largest of which and with the most number of stores is Saudi Arabia (sigh), Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar (where I have quite a lot of friends, so happy to be back once in a while), and then there’s Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon (the place where you see beautiful people in any angle you swivel your head), and of course my base UAE, not to mention reporting to the headoffice in Paris 4 times a year. Before end of this year we will also venture to Syria and India.


June 2008 in Paris, Celebrating 1st Half Results with the French Export Team

It was quite a good job, well actually, it makes me busy, it gets hectic at times. You see I am based in UAE but I stay longer out than here…sometimes I just have to unpack my luggage, do the laundry and pack again for the next trip. It will be a year this month that I am doing this…exciting, tiring, exhausting, but it makes me meet a lot of different people, plus old friends and acquaintances in these countries, and of course it makes me see places.

Rewind…August 2007, I was still in Doha and celebrated my birthday there. It was fun of course with Qpals (friends from Qtel – Qatar Telecoms) celebrating with me for 2 days of the weekend. They gave me my first Tissot watch which I gladly accepted, lol, packed in a supermarket plastic bag. It was a great birthday gift (and going away gift) because I look rich when it’s on my wrist.

Qpals and Daniel's (still inside Patty) gift

This year, last month, on my birthday, I was in Riyadh, KSA (nah! I wasn’t crying)…I was actually busy so I even forgot it was my birthday if not with some calls, SMS and friendster greetings…thanks to all who remembered even if I changed the dates in friendster (lol, I use to do that)…

Back in UAE, it’s Ramadan again, no resto’s until about 7pm…no problem, mom cooks…this makes me lazy to go out, I’ll be here for 5 days and if not I have to go to our logistics office in Jebel Ali on Sunday, I’d rather stay in my home office…come Tuesday I have to fly to Jordan and then to Egypt. Long time friend Raymond dropped me to the airport last time but it was a weekend, so this time I’ll take a cab (again)…

When in Doha I use to meet a lot of friends (aside from my work, lolz)…last time I finally met with
Aimee, Oneng, Bhogs and Arah again. Aimee paid our dinner because she was the closest to celebrate a birthday. I guess it’s my turn next time. After dinner, Oneng had to drop Aimee first but we stayed another hour in the car to finish Aimee’s Q&A portion, and Arah was proclaimed the winner. Also had a coffee with my kumpare Jake, this time, Che and my Gabriel (my inaanak) were already in bed so it was only Jake around who can’t stop telling loads of stories. One time I also had a nice trip with the Doha Pinoy shooters (you can find great photos on this link, unfortunately blocked in UAE) to the northern part of Qatar. Amazing places…this was the day I didn’t even switch on my laptop and my blackberry didn’t work so I was pretty much away from work. Meeting Qpals is necessary when in Doha.

Bhogs, Aimee, ako, Arah and Oneng in Doha

In Kuwait,
Pareng Al (my friend back in SM days and my Tatay’s inaanak) is there…after work we just meet with Meynard, have a dinner, visit their flat, sing-along with Meynards electric guitar, videoke… unfortunately, no alcohol in Kuwait.

Meynard and Al in Kuwait

Bahrain is intoxicating. If I ask
Michael (powerhorse buddy) to bring me to a dinner, he’ll bring me to a bar. Last time we had a nice dinner with Jen and Dennis at F1, and of course, drinks afterwards. Not so good when I had to work the next day, but it was fun after all. Other days I would see Ian, Pao and Pot for a dinner as well and a short tour around small Bahrain…

Visit to Bahrain Fort



There’s a lot more…later…

0 comments:

Post a Comment